Since someone in Zion has to go back to Taiwan, I decided to make one of my favorite cake, opera, to be a gift in the farewell party.
This time I didn't use tempered chocolate to make the coating on the top and down the bottom of the cake, and I omitted the coffee syrup...reason? well...I'm lazy.
-240g almond flour
-180g powder sugar
- 60g bread flour
- 8 eggs +2 yolks
- 6 egg whites
- pinch of salt
- 60g sugar
- 60g melted butter
1. Beat the eggs until they get pale, stir in flour for a second.
2. Beat the egg whites with sugar to soft peak, then fold 1 into it.
3. Add melted butter, do not overmix.
4. Pour into sheet pan, bake 8~10 minutes at 475F.
5. Cool it completely before assembling.
for the coffee butter cream:
- 4 egg whites
- 40g suger
- 160g sugar
- 50g water
- 360g butter, room temperature
- 2T instant coffee
1. Cook sugar and water, meanwhile, beat the egg white with sugar to stiff peak.
2. Then concentrate on cooking syrup. When the syrup is in "soft ball" stage, move from the heat, pour into egg whites and beat it until shiny.
3. Stir in butter.
for the chocolate ganache
- 300g heavy cream
- 300g chocolate
1. Boil the heavy cream, then add in chopped chocolate, stir until it gets shiny.
1. Cut cake into 3 equal pieces, soak each with Kahlua.
2. Spread butter cream on the first layer, then put on second layer.
3. Spread butter cream on the second layer, then ganache.
4. Put on the last layer, repeat step 3.
Although it is lazy version of opera cake, I still spent a night on it...orz